Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Switching to a different college or school during your A-levels

Switching to a different college or school during your A-levelsMoving schools during your A-levels can cause problems. Follow this guide to keep them to a minimum.

Contacting your new college

Once you've worked out where you're moving to, contact your prospective new school or college to find out if they can take you. Once you're accepted somewhere, you'll need to let your current school or college know.

It's best to get started as early as you can: both schools will have things to arrange, and there could be unexpected holdups.


Not all schools and colleges offer the same subjects. If your new school doesn't offer a subject you're currently studying, then you'll have to drop it. This could reduce your options about which subjects to keep for A2, or force you to start a new subject altogether. Keep this in mind when looking for a new place to study.

Transferring exam boards

If you move, your new school or college might use different exam boards. If that's the case, you'll need to transfer. Whether this is possible will depend on the boards you are switching from and to, the subject, and sometimes the modules you have taken. You'll need to check whether you can transfer for each subject separately, so get started well in advance. Your school's examinations officer should be able to help you.

Once you have transferred, the move won't make a difference to how your A-levels appear to universities or employers - your qualification will be from the new exam board.


Even if the exam boards match up, there's more to think about. Because some modules can be taken at AS or A2, your new school or college might be teaching a module you've already taken as part of the A2 course. They might also teach a module for A2 that requires background knowledge you didn't study. This will make it more difficult for you to switch, so make sure you look into it first.

Things are likely to be more complicated if you move during a year, rather than during the summer in between your two years.

Related links